Have you heard the story that if you eat black eyed peas on New Year’s day you are supposed to receive good fortune all year? I don’t know about that, but I do know that black eyed peas are healthy and a great recipe for adding variety to your dinners. This black eyed pea recipe is full of flavor!
3-5 cups water
6 bacon slices
16 oz. dried black eyed peas
1 medium onion
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder or cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Wash and rinse the peas.
2. Chop the onion.
3. In a small skillet, cook the bacon until crisp.
4. Remove the bacon to a plate, and then cook the chopped onion in the bacon drippings until it is tender.
5. Transfer the onion and bacon drippings to a large pot.
6. Add the peas, tomatoes, and chili powder (or cumin), salt, pepper, and 3 cups of water.
7. Cover and cook over medium heat for one hour, until peas are tender. Check periodically and add up to two more cups of water if needed.
8. Stir in crumbled bacon pieces.
My hubby and kids liked this a lot and requested it again. I think they were happy to see a new side dish added to the rotation! If you have any other great ideas for black eyed peas, let me know in the comments! Thanks for stopping by and be sure to come back next week. Check out other Try a New Recipe Tuesday recipes here: