As a little girl, my nana’s grits were one of my favorite things to eat! They were a breakfast staple. The instant stuff just doesn’t compare. Shrimp and grits was a treat we would get when shrimp was on sale. After going through some of my nana’s old recipes, I found this one and decided to make it for my family!
1 cup grits
1 can chicken broth
3/4 cup half and half
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. butter
1 cup shredded Cheddar
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
2 cups water
1. Bring half and half, water, broth, and salt to boil in medium pot.
2. Whisk in the grits.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the grits are thick.
4. Stir in the butter, hot sauce, pepper, and cheeses.
5. Keep warm.
1 lb. medium shrimp peeled and deveined
4 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 minced garlic cloves
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup flour
1. Cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Set aside on paper towel and save 2 tbsp. drippings.
2. Saute mushrooms in bacon dripping until tender.
3. Add the green onions and saute for another two minutes.
4. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour.
5. Add shrimp and garlic to skillet and saute until shrimp are browned.
6. Stir in the chicken broth, hot sauce, and lemon juice and cook until heated through.
7. Serve shrimp over grits, garnish with lemon slices.
This recipe was absolutely delicious. The grits were so rich and creamy, just like I remember! We even had leftover grits for breakfast the next day (note, add a little broth and heat them up). You can also just make the grits by themselves!
Thanks for stopping by. To see other recipes, check out Try a New Recipe Tuesday here: