In an effort to (ahem) lose a few pounds, I have been working on incorporating more carb-free meals into my diet. This week, I am sharing a recipe for this casserole I made with spaghetti squash. I have never cooked with spaghetti squash before, but it actually turned out really really well!
2 medium spaghetti squash
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 medium onion
1 medium red pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 can diced tomatoes (I used the garlic and oregano ones)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups shredded Italian cheese
1/2 bushel parsley
1. Slice squash in half and place open-side down in baking dish.
2. Add 1/2 cup water to the dish.
3. Cover dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until tender.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. While squash cools, chop the onion, garlic, and pepper.
6. Cook sausage in a pan until browned. Drain.
7. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper to the pan and cook until the vegetables are tender.
8. Stir in the diced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce.
9. Use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash and stir into the meat mixture.
10. Transfer mixture to baking pan.
11. Top with cheese, cover, and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
12. Remove the foil and bake for 5 minutes more.
13. Top with chopped parsley and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
I served this with a side salad, and my hubby and kids had garlic bread too. The squash added a really nice flavor to the dish, and my kids ate the leftovers for lunch the next day, so they must have liked it! Now I’m going to look for other spaghetti squash recipes! If you have any, let me know in the comments. Thanks for stopping by, I will see you next week. You can check out other recipes here: