Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I have my corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot, and I figured I would share a recipe for one my family’s favorite Irish desserts, Irish toffee bars.
4 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
5 tbsp. good quality maple syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 bag chocolate chips
sea salt to garnish
1. Cream two sticks of the butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until smooth.
2. Beat in the flour on low speed until the dough gets crumbly.
3. Spray an 8X11 pan with cooking spray and press the dough into the bottom.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and set aside.
6. Mix the butter, 1 cup sugar, maple syrup, and condensed milk in a saucepan.
7. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
8. Stir the mixture while boiling for another 7-10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
9. Pour the toffee over the shortbread.
10. Cover the pan and place in the refrigerator overnight.
11. Melt the chocolate chips in a saucepan or the microwave.
12. Spread the chocolate over the toffee and then sprinkle with the salt.
13. Place the pan back in the refrigerator until it cools.
We make this for our St. Patty’s Day feast every year and my kids love it! It was also very popular at International Day for our homeschool group!
Feel free to share your favorite Irish recipes in the comments! Check out other new recipes here: