There’s nothing like a good casserole for dinner on a busy weeknight. Recently, I threw this one together. It was a combination of some of my favorite veggies and my hubby and boy’s favorite meats. Oh, and lots and lots of cheese (we all love that!)
2 lbs Italian sausage (I used three links of spicy Italian and 3 links of sweet Italian)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbps. Italian seasoning
1 yellow squash
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
3 cups shredded Italian cheese
- Wash and chop the vegetables. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp. garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Roast at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
3. Heat about 1 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet. Remove the sausage from the casing and chop into small pieces.
4. Chop the onion and garlic and add it to the skillet.
5. Cook until the sausage is done, then drain and return to the skillet.
6. Add the whole peeled tomatoes, use a wooden spoon to break the tomatoes into smaller pieces, then simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Pour the meat mixture on top of the vegetables.
8. Sprinkle with some breadcrumbs (I used about a handful) to absorb some of the juice.
9. Cover the meat with the cheese. Then sprinkle the remaining garlic powder and Italian seasoning on top.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese melts and is bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan. Serve with garlic toast.
I love the veggies I was able to sneak in this dish, and my husband and sons loved the combo of the spicy and sweet sausages, but you could definitely use whatever kind of sausage you wanted and customize the vegetables to your taste too. Enjoy! Check out some other great recipes here: