This is one of those meals you can totally customize and make as simple as you want. I used a Publix rotisserie chicken to make this on a busy weeknight, but you could certainly make your own chicken or, better yet, use up some leftovers instead. You can also change up the toppings to whatever you like.
1 family-size rotisserie chicken (or about 3 cups of shredded chicken)
1 can chopped green chiles
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 pack taco seasoning
1 tbsp. water
3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 small onion, chopped
1 can refried beans
2 tbsp. Adobo seasonin
1 tbsp. Olive oil
toppings of your choice:
cilantro, green onion, jalepeno, sour cream, guacamole etc.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for a couple of minutes until soft.
2. Stir in the shredded chicken, green chiles, diced tomatoes, water, and taco seasoning. Stir and then simmer for about 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Sprinkle the Adobo seasoning on the top and stir to blend.
3. In a small pot, heat the refried beans until warm.
4. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray and place the taco shells inside. Spoon a small amount of the beans at the bottom of each shell.
5. Divide the chicken mixture between the shells.
6. Top with the shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
7. Serve topped with your favorite toppings!
You could also get creative with this and make the same topping, just bake it over tortilla chips and serve it up as nachos for a party! Enjoy!