My mom turned 65 this week and to celebrate the family got together in the Ocala National Forest for some fishing, kayaking, and a cookout. We went to Moss Bluff which is a great spot, with lots of trees to keep things shady. It was a total surprise for her, and it was great to see her face when we showed up. I brought my signature BBQ side dish, my spicy coleslaw! It goes great on hot dogs, burgers, or just as a side on its own. Plus, it’s really easy to make! Here’s my recipe:
3 cups shredded coleslaw mix (or make your own)
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 bunch cilantro
3 cloves diced garlic
1 cup mayonnaise
3-4 tablespoons hot sauce (I like to use sriracha or 2 tbsp of red chili paste)
- Wash all produce. Chop the cilantro. Dice the garlic. Shred the cabbage.
- Combine the coleslaw mix, red cabbage, cilantro, and garlic in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the mayonnaise and hot sauce until well blended.
- Stir the mayonnaise mixture into the coleslaw mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then cover and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.