As you may know, we live in Florida and were recently impacted by Hurricane Irma. One thing you learn quickly when you live down here is how to survive without power. After the storm, if you want to cook, you basically need to be able to do so with a grill and maybe one burner (which we have). So, this is one of my hurricane meals that is easy to make and very filling.
1 family size pack of Vigo yellow rice
2 lbs chicken tenderloins
2 cans mixed veggies (green beans, carrots, peas, and lima beans)
- Season chicken with Adobo and grill until cooked.
- Follow the directions on the rice mix to add the necessary water/olive oil to the pot.
- Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and add to the pot.
- Drain the cans of veggies and add them to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 20-30 minutes, adding more water as needed, until rice is tender.
It’s not the way my grandmother used to make it, but it works if you’re in a pinch!