So my husband recently told me that he ate some acorn squash at work and really liked it, and I decided to capitalize on that and try making this stuffed squash. It came out really well!
2-3 medium acorn squash, cut in half
1 lb. chicken sausage
1 red bell pepper
shredded Italian cheese
- Halve the squash and scoop out the seeds.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Chop the onion, bell pepper, and tomato.
- Rub the inside of the squash with a little olive oil and bake, face down, for about 20 minutes.
- While squash is cooking, brown the sausage and drain.
- Return the sausage to the pan and add the chopped onion, tomato, and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt/pepper to taste (I also added some garlic powder and Italian seasoning).
- Add the sausage mixture to the center of the squash and top with some shredded cheese.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
We had leftovers and these were still good the next day when I had one for lunch! Enjoy!